SUBJECT: COMPLAINT PROCEDURE
DEPARTMENT: HUMAN RESOURCES
REVIEW INTERVAL: 12 MONTHS
APPROVER(S): CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
Morehouse General Hospital will courteously treat any person who invokes this complaint procedure, and MGH will handle all complaints immediately, appropriately and confidentially to the extent possible in light of the need to take appropriate corrective action. Lodging a complaint will in no way be used against the employee or have an adverse impact on the individual’s employment status. Because of the damaging nature of harassment to the victims and to the entire workforce, aggrieved employees are strongly urged to use this procedure. However, filing groundless or malicious complaints is an abuse of this policy and will be treated as a violation.
MGH has established the following procedure for lodging a complaint of harassment, or
retaliation. MGH will treat all aspects of the procedure confidentially to the extent
1. Complaints should be submitted as soon as possible after an incident has occurred, preferably in writing. Employees should report a complaint in writing to their Supervisor or to Human Resources. The HR director may assist the complainant in completing a written statement or, in the event an employee refuses to provide information in writing, the HR director will dictate the verbal complaint.
2. If reported to a Supervisor, then the Supervisor must report the complaint to Human
Resources as soon as reasonably practical. Supervisors who fail to document and
report any harassment complaint shall be subject to corrective action up to and
3. Upon receiving a complaint or being advised by a supervisor or manager that
violation of this policy may be occurring, Human Resources will begin the complaint
review process, including interviews with the Complainant, alleged harasser
(“Respondent”), and witnesses.
4. Once the investigation is concluded, Human Resources shall work closely with the
legal department and other management employees to determine whether the
alleged conduct occurred. Human Resources will submit a written report
documenting his or her findings to MGH Senior management (CEO).
5. If it is determined that harassment in violation of this policy has occurred, Human
Resources will recommend appropriate disciplinary action. The appropriate action
will depend on the following factors: a) the severity, frequency and pervasiveness of
the conduct: b) prior complaints made by the Complainant; c) prior complaints made
against the Respondent; and d) the quality of the evidence (e.g., first-hand
knowledge, credible corroboration).
6. If the investigation is inconclusive or if it is determined that there has been no
violation of policy but potentially problematic conduct may have occurred, Human
Resources may recommend appropriate preventive action.
7. MGH Senior management will review the investigative report and any statements submitted by the Complainant, witnesses and Respondent, discuss results of the investigation with the HR director and other management staff as appropriate, and decide what action, if any, will be taken.
8. Once a final decision is made by senior management, Human Resources will meet with the Complainant and the Respondent separately and notify them of the findings of the investigation and inform them of the action being recommended.
9. The Complainant and the Respondent may submit statements to Human Resources
challenging the factual basis of the findings. Any such statement must be submitted
no later than five (5) working days after the meeting with Human Resources in which
the findings of the investigation are discussed.
10. Human Resources will report the company’s decision to the Complainant, the Respondent and the appropriate management assigned to the department(s) in which the Complainant and the Respondent work. MGH’s decision will be in writing and will include findings of fact and a statement for or against disciplinary action. If disciplinary action is to be taken, the Respondent will be informed of the nature of the discipline and how it will be executed.